Tuesday 21 August 2012

Oldest Family tree


This is an historical family tree that traces my grandmother's heritages from the 1800's up until my grandmother herself. The tree starts with a man by the name of Philip Ryklief and his wife Sophia who later became Ayesha after embracing Islam. More information on Philip Ryclie was found in the book referenced; 
"Cape Town:
The making of a city,
an illustrated social history.
by Nigel Worden, E Van Heyningen,
Vivian Bickford-Smith
Publisher: Cape Town: David Philip, 1998".

"On page 202 of Cape Town: The making of a city, an illustrated social history (by Nigel Worden, E Van Heyningen, Vivian Bickford-Smith)
"One feature of the early Wynberg development was its multi-ethnic character. The Dutch formed a continuing presence; some residents like Tennant and Maynard were British; Eggers, Ellert and Morgenrood were German in origin; yet other were free blacks or emancipated slaves. In general the holdings of the last mentioned were less substantial but they were established family properties that remained integral to the Wynberg area for generations. When Jan Sintler of Klein Oude in Wynberg died he left the estate to his common-law wife, Rachel van die Kaap. She later married Abraham Zasman, a carter, and the deeds were registered in his name, although part had been sold. The Zasman property became a Muslim enclave in the centre of Wynberg village. In 1838 in lower Wynberg Phillip Ryklief, described in the Cape Almanac of 1830 as a free black and wagoner, bought land strategically placed on the Simon's Town road, originally part of the Rust en Werk farm. Ryklief was the son of an Englishman, probably called Ratcliffe, and Johanna Barbara , the daughter of Jan van Bougies and Samieda van die Kaap. Ryklief himself had married Sophia, whose mother was English and who was the step-daughter of an imam of the Palm Tree Mosque in Long Street, Cape Town. Such family connections may have assisted Ryklief in his purchase but he was not the only free black to buy land in the area. Others included Jan van Mauritius, Hammat, Pedro, Abdol van die Kaap, O'Deane, Sarah Adams, John Rabboula (Rabullah) and 'Frida'. listed in the 1830 Cape Almanac as a prize negro.""

 



22 comments:

  1. My great grandfather was Salie Davids.Fascinating reading.Would like to get in touch regarding your research.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slm, just out of interest was he Salie David's from Constantia?

      Delete
  2. Yo. So I wanted to research my family tree and like I cam across this post and started to freak out like "Who is this Saadiqah? I've seen this before. How does she know my Amma's name" and then I realised we're first cousins haha awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our moms cousin, Uncle Ashraf gave me this information. you could ask him and find out more. i was doing this for an assignment we had to do. i didnt got any further with it, but maybe you should.

      Delete
  3. I have the same family tree :)

    Philip Ryklief > Joseph Ryklief > Isaac Ryklief > Rokea Ryklief who then married Maawyah Sedick who had a daughter Gasina Sedick who then married Bohaahodien Saban who had my dad, Isgaak Saban and then there's me, Ilhaam Saban :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My father's grandfather was Imaam Maawiyah Sedick, of the Yussufiyah Masjied.
      I have seen a family tree that goes beyond this, I will try to find it again.

      Delete
    2. Hi can u send me your contact details please

      Delete
  4. Did Johanna Barbara have siblings?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes she had sibblings. Much of this written and taken from others records are seriously distorted.

      Delete
  5. Did Johanna Barbara have siblings?

    ReplyDelete
  6. My father in law was Gaydien Ryklief and his wife was Kulsum Ryklief originally from York rd

    ReplyDelete
  7. My father in law was Gaydien Ryklief and his wife was Kulsum Ryklief originally from York rd

    ReplyDelete
  8. joseph ryklief and sophia was my great grandparents lived in broad rd wynberg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slm that was also my great grandparents my grandfather's name was Yusuf Hendricks

      Delete
  9. My mom has the exact same family tree, She said that we have a very big family and everything that they owned, the big lands and stuff, it's too much

    ReplyDelete
  10. Im trying to locate my fathers Ryklief roots.his mother was Rookaya Ryklief.was registered as


    Rita Ryklief.probably born around 1915 or 1916.in Cape Town.would like to get some feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Salaams, do you by any chance know how the inheritance was split, my mother name was Nuria Ryklief

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ismael Davids, my mother was Salega Ryklief father was Agmad Davids my mother's father and mother was ABAS RYKLIEF & FATIEMA RYKLIEF, THEY were COSIANS ,both there father's was Rykliefs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My grandfather is Abdurahman ryklief (mother Gadija ryklief) and Abas and Fatima ryklief was my grandfathers grandparents

      Delete
  13. Aslmlkm, I am trying to figure out if anyone know the history of Nonni Ryclif who was married to Moghammad Brown from Landsdown? Kanalah. She was my great gran mamma❤️ email moenierahs@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have the same family tree 🥺

    ReplyDelete